Jarvis has a degenerative condition called Multiple Sclerosis which has, over time, lead to him losing strength and sensation in both his arms and legs and he often has to rely on a wheelchair to move around his home. He lives in a 2 storey house with his family and runs a small business from one of the first floor bedrooms.
The following list outlines some of the key problems Jarvis and his family were experiencing at home on grounds of his disability when one of our therapists visited him:
- Jarvis was unable to negotiate stairs easily.
- He could not transfer independently from his wheelchair.
- He found the front entrance increasingly difficult to negotiate.
- The ground floor was not large enough to provide ground floor accommodation and moving around in his wheelchair was becoming increasingly frustrating.
Solutions investigated and recommended by Inclusion:
- We supported the installation of a wheelchair through floor lift as well as widening door widths - facilitating wheelchair access from the ground to 1st floor again.
- We helped advise on the installation of a new wheelchair accessible work station by providing a full ergonomic workstation assessment.
- We recommended the provision of a new Level Access or Wet Floor Shower, wash dry toilet and accessible wash hand basin - all with sufficient access for easy wheelchair use and turning space.
- We assessed for the installation of ceiling track hoist and appropriate slings in both ground floor & 1st floor rooms to assist with transfers, also ensuring Jarvis and his family were fully trained and supported in the use of this equipment.
- Ramped access to the front and rear of the property to create easy wheelchair access for Jarvis.
- The outcome of our involvement with Jarvis was that he was able to access and use all areas of his family home again independently, his quality of life reportedly increased ten fold and he told us that he once again felt like a full member of the family. He was also able to continue to run the family business and maintain his role as the main provider.
Comment from Jarvis
"I did not know how I could get to where I wanted to be when Inclusion first visited me. I wanted my independence and dignity back but didn't know how or where to start. I was thinking of installing a stairlift even though I didn't know how I was to transfer onto it or how I could afford one. The caring way Inclusion worked with me in designing and suggesting adaptations for my needs was wonderful, I felt fully involved. They listened and interpreted my needs brilliantly."
For more information or to arrange a free consultation, call 07812034533 or email firstname.lastname@example.org